Leading a healthy and happy family life depends upon the state of your marriage. If both of you are happy then this transfers over to your children. If you are not then most likely your children will pick up on this and respond by being unhappy too. This article provides a few tips for a happy marriage.
So how do you ensure that your marriage stays happy and healthy? Well, the most important aspect is by communicating effectively with each other. This means showing each other that you still love one another, and being there for them no matter what.
Learning and understanding your partner’s love language is super important to your marriage. If you don’t know what I am talking about then you need to read Dr. Gary Chapman is the #1 New York Times best-seller the 5 Love Langauges
In a nutshell, the 5 Love Languages are:
- gift giving
- quality time
- words of affirmation
- acts of service (devotion)
- physical touch
While each of these is important to a happy marriage one of these will be more important to your partner than another.
If your partner values acts of service the highest then picking up on things as they need to be done, without waiting to be asked will be valued highly by your partner. For example, cooking dinner, laying out the dinner table. When it’s laundry day or trash day you both pick up items & get them ready.
At the newlywed stage, everything seems wonderful, it is so easy to start taking each other for granted as the years wear on. If you want your marriage to last for 25 or 50 years then you are going to have to work on keeping your marriage healthy.
10 Tips for a Happy Marriage ~ Showing your spouse that you still love them is key, and this can be done in lots of small ways:
- Surprise your spouse with a quick phone call at lunch time (words of affirmation)
- Bring home a gift now and again (gift giving)
- Don’t forget birthdays and anniversaries, it’s not the gift that is important but remembering the day (acts of service & devotion)
- Give each other a massage. (physical touch)
- Watch their favorite movie or sports with them (quality time)
- Compliment the way your spouse looks (words of affirmation)
- Tell each other that you are great parents (words of affirmation)
- Thank each other for just being there (words of affirmation)
- Send them out with their friends (quality time)
- Go shopping together (quality time)
You entered into your marriage because you wanted to spend time together, so don’t forget this. Always be appreciative of each other by showing your true feelings. This will spill over to your children who will grow up knowing what a good relationship really means.